essence of eve home about elsewhere lovelies contact

3.20.2012

interview // katie of clair de lune

I'm so very delighted to have you over at my blog today, Katie! :) To start off, just tell us a little bit about yourself.

Where do I start... My name is Katie, and my face is most often behind my camera. When it's not, there is normally a smile present. I love my piano a little more than I should. Birds are my current obsession. I live in the country so I spend a lot of time outside with my notebooks and favorite pen, soaking in the quiet. Anything art, writing, photography, coffee, and books have my attention. You will often find me at my local thrift store.


Thrifts stores are amazing! I'm not much for the clothes, but oh, the books... all the titles you can find! What do you think inspired you to start on your photography journey?

Blogging did, I think. I saw what others did with their cameras, and that inspired me to pick up mine and start snapping away.


Me too actually, for the most part at least. What would you say the majority of your photos are (portraits, macros, etc)?

Landscapes and nature in general, for sure. Nature captivates me. I also have quite a few pictures of people "in the moment". They make me feel as though I'm freezing time.


Nature and people... I love them both so much, that I end up combining. :) What camera/equipment do you use?

I use a Nikon D3000 and a 18-55mm kit lens mostly, although I do own a 50mm f/1.4 macro film lens that I have to hold in front of my kit lens to take a picture. It gives a peephole effect that I absolutely love. I'm also borrowing my uncle's 52mm film lens that has an amazing glaze effect, giving a vintage feel to the photo


Both the 50mm & the 52mm sound really cool! Do you prefer manual or auto focus?

Auto. I'm lazy, and I will admit it. Sometimes my camera won't focus on exactly what I want it to focus on, so I switch to manual. That's the only time though.


Yeah, manual can sometimes be frustrating (especially when little kiddies are involved ;). Do you edit your photos? If so, with what?

I used to edit every one, but I've ventured away from that. I do love editing and enhancing my photos, and for that I use Paint.net, but it takes up a lot of time. Other than changing from color to black&white, not much editing is done.


Same here, pretty much. I also sometimes make adjustments, with PS. If you could go anywhere in the world with your camera, where would it be?

I would love to go everywhere. If I HAD to choose... it would be either Paris or Ireland. Paris because, well, it's Paris. Ireland because I have a weird fascination with that country, in all its green rolling hills, stone castles, and delicious accents.


Stone castles? Need to visit. What are several of your favourite shots ever taken?

The first is a picture of my neighbor who is 2. He is precious, and he likes to run around my house with blocks in his hands while wearing socks so he can slide across the floor.

The second is of the bushes around the pond in my backyard. I'm not sure why it's a favorite. I suppose I just love the colors.


The third is a favorite because it's of the window sill in my kitchen. The colors are so pretty, and it reminds me of everyday life.


They're all so pretty! Love the pansies in the last one! Have you ever sold any of your prints?

No, not yet. I'm hoping to have my photography shop open by the end of May or beginning of June.


I'm planning on opening an Etsy shop soon too! Can't wait to visit yours! What are some tips you can give to newbie photographers - something you desperately wish you'd known when you first started out?

Oh, the life of a beginner. Truthfully, sometimes I still feel as though I'm a beginner. There are so many things I don't know, or haven't tried. I do wish I realized the purpose of photography when I first started. Photography isn't just about taking pictures, it's about freezing a moment in time to cherish and relive afterwards; it needs to speak emotion and memories. But as far as taking pictures, practice practice practice. Know your camera, the settings, and how to adjust in different situations.


Thank-you so much, Katie! That was really fun! :)
If you would like to look though some more of Katie's photos, you can visit her over at clair de lune. Her blog is amazing! So click on that link, ok? Now. ;)

5 comments:

  1. Lovely interview! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opps! Accidentally deleted this comment from Jessica:

    I follow Katie already -- that's why this review was cool for me ;) Wow, I loved this :D

    xo,
    J

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading this! Katie, your favorite pictures are AMAZING. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tha a fun review. I love "meeting" new people through the blogosphere.
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for doing this Eve! I loved answering these questions. (:

    ReplyDelete

a single ray of light can brighten even the darkest forest.